Mr. Markow is a shareholder and a Florida Bar Board Certified Business Litigation attorney. Mr. Markow routinely handles cases in the areas of corporate and shareholder disputes, trademarks, copyrights, unfair competition, real estate, land use, government litigation, securities, fraud, and casualty/insurance claims.
Mr. Markow represents companies along the spectrum of corporate structures ranging from large publicly traded companies to closely held private entities. He represents and defends owners of intellectual property in all manner of disputes regarding trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, and domain names. Mr. Markow has also represented local governments, developers, land owners, brokers and interested parties in complex real estate, land use and zoning matters.
Mr. Markow has extensive experience litigating in State and Federal Courts throughout Florida and other jurisdictions. Mr. Markow has represented clients with claims in each of the above areas valued in the several millions of dollars, and has a proven track record of obtaining favorable results through jury and non-jury trials, and through negotiated settlements. Mr. Markow also practices appellate advocacy and has a noteworthy record of published opinions.
Notable Client Work
Mr. Markow has:
- Represented a real estate developer in a breach of contract suit against famed boxing promoter Don King regarding a high profile parcel of property located in Palm Beach County . Mr. Markow prevailed on behalf of his client in trial, and before the appellate court.
- Represented financial institutions against the FDIC in litigation relating to the bank's failure. He has also represented the FDIC in its capacity as receiver for Amtrust Bank.
- Represented several entities in the enforcement and defense of restrictive post-employment covenants and non-competition agreements.
- Represented an internationally known motor cycle manufacturer in protection of trademarks utilized on and in connection with motorcycle accessories and gear. Mr. Markow has shut down counterfeiters and infringers, resulting in seizure of counterfeit goods.
- Represented a manufacturer and designer of fine contemporary Italian furniture. For this designer, Mr. Markow asserted claims for the violation of copyright of artistic features in certain designs and for the violation of trademark rights, which resulted in the cessation of infringing activities.
- Defended a city and a developer with vested rights under a development agreement with the city from constitutional challenges to the city's review criteria for development approval.
- Represented an internationally known designer of high-end jewelry and fashion accessories in copyright enforcement and counterfeiting actions. Mr. Markow protected his client's rights in its artistic expressions protected under the law.
- Represented a multibillion dollar federal bank in multiple trademark enforcement and domain dispute matters. Mr. Markow successfully litigated a range of claims including the infringement of the bank's registered trademark, false designation of origin, cyber-piracy, unfair competition, and deceptive and unfair trade practices.
- Represented a leading company of high-end ladies undergarments in trademark, trade dress, and design patent claims against a famous national retailer, who was utilizing the company's famous packaging for sale of the retailer's inferior line of ladies' undergarments.
- Represented a well known resort against an internationally known hotel and timeshare resort chain in an action concerning the resort's trademark. The case resulted in the recognition of the resort's mark and a halt of infringing activity by the international company.