Jie Xiu is a member of the corporate and securities practice at Becker & Poliakoff. Her practice focuses on corporate, securities, mergers and acquisitions and a broad range of business and commercial matters. Jie represents complex, high-profile M&A and securities offering projects across the globe, including East and Southeast Asia, Europe and North America. Clients she has represented include multinational corporations and high-net-worth individuals in transactions ranging from billion dollar M&A transactions to start-up financings. She also represents a large number of Chinese companies in their listings on NASDAQ, NYSE and OTC Markets through IPO and RTO, in their public and private offerings of debt and equity securities, commercial transactions and compliance with securities laws. Her client base encompasses various industries including telecommunications, manufacturing, consumer products, real estate, retail and fashion, education, advertising, investment banking, financial services, pharmaceutical and biotech, energy and maritime industry. Prior to joining the Firm, Jie was Counsel of Locke Lord LLP.
Professional Affiliations and Awards
- New York “Rising Star” from 2011 to 2016 in the Corporate and Business section by Super Lawyer Magazine, a Thomson Reuters Service.
- “Top Women Attorneys in the New York Metro Area” in the Merger and Acquisition section by Super Lawyer Magazine, New York Times Magazine 2012-2016 special supplement issues.
- 2014 Awardee of the Outstanding 50 Asian Americans in Business Awards, a most prestigious and still the only forum to highlight the achievements of Asian Americans across the United States.
- Board Director, Head of the Securities and Commercial Law Group, and Chairwoman of the Nomination and Election Committee of the Asian Financial Society (“AFS”), a non-profit organization founded in 1984 with over 4,000 Wall Street financial professional members.
- The first recipient of the Outstanding Contribution to AFS Board Award, which recognizes special contribution by the AFS Board members to AFS.
Publication and Presentations
- Quoted by Super Lawyers Magazine, October 2015 edition in the article Navigating China which is the first formal article by Super Lawyers covering China’s current legal systems and practices.
- TV Interview on cross-border M&As with Donna Yang, TV anchorwoman of ICN TV Network in the network’s program series “Investing in US,” April 2015.
- Featured Speaker, “Chinese Investors’ M&A Experiences in the U.S., Status and Issues”, China-US Business Alliance, January 2017.
- Featured Speaker, “US Real Estate Laws, Policies and Deal Structures Relevant to Overseas Investors”, Asian Financial Society’s China-US RE Investment Forum, May 2016.
- Featured Speaker, “Cross-Border M&A and the Post-Acquisition Synergy Issues,” Wall Street Online hosted by Professor Shusong Ba, Chief Economist of China Banking Association, June 2015.
- Moderator, “Experiences in US Expansion by Chinese Companies,” Asian Financial Society 30 Year Anniversary Summit, November 2014.
- Featured Speaker, “The M&A Trend with Chinese Investors in U.S.,” Harvard Club of NYC, February 2014.
- Featured Speaker, “Legal Issues for Entrepreneurs and Startups: Positioning Yourself for Future Venture Capital Financing,” the CorpStarter program in partnership with the Startup World Cup, April 2013.
- Featured Speaker, “Doing Cross-Border M&A in U.S. - the Legal Mechanism and Risk Controls,” the Business Risk Management for China Inbound Investment and Cross-border M&A Transactions Forum, Asian Financial Society, April 2012.
- Featured Speaker, “How to Use Cultural Knowledge in Career Development and Cross-Border Transactions,” NY Society of Security Analysts, December 2011.
- Featured Speaker, “Doing Business in China, Legal Mechanisms and Pitfalls to Avoid,” US-China Business Roundtable, Troutman Sanders LLP, September 2011.
- Featured Speaker, “Raising Capital in the U.S. - Transactions in the Current Environment,” Troutman Sanders LLP, Chinese Business Lawyer Association and Asian Financial Society Chinese Public Companies Symposium, April 2011.
- Panel Speaker, “To Practice in Asia,” Asian American Bar Association of New York (“AABANY”) 2010 Fall Conference, September 2010.
- Featured Speaker, “Current Environment in the U.S. Capital Market,” Asian Financial Society Monthly Investment Opportunities Group Meeting, June 2011.
- Frequent speaker for the EMBA programs of Tsinghua University and Sun Yat-Sen University, China.